Breathing Room

Thursday, July 21, 2011
This sounds kind of dumb, but sometimes I forget that I'm a writer. You know what I blame? All the writing.

I'm not sure what I expected when I signed on to "be a writer." Maybe mornings spent in front of the laptop, calmly sipping my tea while rearranging the characters and plots of my imagination? Maybe long, leisurely walks spent searching for inspiration?

One thing's for sure; I didn't expect I'd be hauling my arse out of bed long before my mind wanted to be awake to plunk in front of the computer to tackle the latest writing assignment: trying to feed myself breakfast with one hand while typing with the other, frantically shaking the words in order before it was time to get dressed for my "real" job.   

It's been quite the month or so, now.  There's been one freelance assignment on top of another to deal with. Good news for my portfolio. Bad news for those awful black bags under my eyes. Then throw in some pretty impressive humidity to top it all off and it's been kind of tricky to catch my breath.

But this morning I sat down at the computer and realized I had no lingering writing obligations hanging over my head. No commentary, no article, no guest post to write. For the next week and a half, I'm assignment-free.  These morning moments at the computer are mine.

Actually, more than just these morning moments. For a little while, I'm blessed with total control over my "non-work" hours. A very good thing indeed, since a certain favorite berry is ripe and ready for the picking.

Here's to the lazy, carefree days of summer. May your berry buckets grow full and heavy. May there be plenty of room to stretch and take a nice deep breath.

11 comments:

  1. Stoppin in with TThop
    now following, feel free to check out my blog-
    http://anoterote.blogspot.com/2011/07/glad-trash-bags-with-febreze-review-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, this was a breath of fresh air. I'm happy you've found room to breathe in the writing world too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could pick with you. Tell me how your blue berry vinegar turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness... yes... There is the writing, (which pays the bills) and then there is the being a writer aspect of it. Two totally different things all together...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on all your freelance work. And congratulations on NEEDING a breath of air - most writers never get there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get what you are saying and I don't have any (paid) writing assignments/responsibilities. I have not been happy with my writing as of late. there's quantity oh, yes but quality? not so much. Thank goodness I can just post pictures on my blog and let them tell the story because this writers brain has really gone on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently experienced something like this with my crafting. No more obligations, gifts and swaps to make for so now what? lol Mmmmmm, berries...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome that you have so many freelancing opportunities! I can certainly understand the need for a breath of air, even when you're doing what you love that can be necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You break my heart with that blueberry photo! Glad you'll have time to be out picking. I bet it will refuel your sense of being a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must say I would be happy to have the problem of too many assignments. I have not yet had the chance to write for anything specific just my blog and my school newspaper. I do hope I encounter those troubles soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been kind of in the opposite situation - I want more writing! Inspiration has been hard to come by, but then again you can't exactly just sit around waiting for it to hit you. Might be time to start hitting up those Craigslist ads again. Or better yet, pitching some more stories. I'm gonna get my fiction on one of these days.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails