The Freelance Writing Trenches: Consistency

Monday, April 2, 2012
Did I ever tell you that I procrastinate?

I didn't?

I'm sure I've been meaning to tell you that. I just, you know, haven't gotten around to it yet.

That's right. Not only am I "Judge-y McJudgerson," I procrastinate. All the time. (I'd say I really am more than just a lovely bundle of faults, but really, are any of us beyond just being a lovely bundle of faults? Really?)

 

I crave organization and schedules. I want color-coded day planners. I want to know that at 7:45 each morning I will be sitting down with my breakfast to check emails and that I will start my work day promptly at 8 each morning and that at 12:30 . . .

But the truth is: I'm hot or cold. Some weeks it's like someone started a fire under my bum and I bask in the glory of my own production. Other weeks. . . . Well, other weeks I bask in the glory of Facebook and Pinterest.

Source: google.com via Eric on Pinterest

BTW, what is up with that quote? Apparently I need to figure out a way to get to a living wage out of Facebook and Pinterest . . . .

Sometimes I imagine what would happen if I was actually consistent and could take those crazy productive weeks and those not so inspiring weeks and mix them all together to create a slow but steady pace for the year's 52 weeks. I imagine projects would be completed in advance of deadlines, clutter would diminish, and my blood pressure would lower. But I've never been able to maintain a carefully regimented schedule. I'm easily distracted (ooo, shiny!) and I'm not sure I'm capable of writing without a dose of stressful adrenaline that bubbles through my veins when I flip the day planner page and find a row of little deadlines staring straight back at me.

Still, some nice things would come from having a more consistent schedule and work ethic. It would mean that when an editor sends me a deadline reminder and I email back saying I'm nearly done with those stories that I'd really meant that I was nearly done with the stories not that, I'm thinking about maybe giving the sources for the story a call this afternoon. It would mean that I wouldn't being doing phone interviews at 7 and 8 tonight because I  would have done them ahead of time. But sadly, that's just not the case.

So here's to procrastination and the production it inspires . . . eventually.

 

5 comments:

  1. Why do today what you can put off and forget about until tomorrow, at which time you'll run around like a headless chicken to finish before collapsing in a heap on the couch? ;)

    I'm kidding, but I'm the editor who sends out the reminders "just in case." For my own work, I'm always early with things. But when it comes to blogging, it seems my schedule is whenever the urge hits (or I get hit in the head with a bird. Instant content!)I'm also easily distracted, as I was working on a blog post but ended up here...

    Anyway, I used to stress about it, but seeing as it's not my job I just go with the flow--or the clog. With work, I like it early, but I know freelancers have other things they're doing as well and not everyone operates as OCD as me. But now I know they're all on Pinterest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote about procrastination and I wish making crafts was lucrative for me haha! Or making lists!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was told once that there are two kinds of people. Some people that work best under pressure and some people that work only under pressure. How true that is, who's to say? Anyway, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it.. I too like to have my day planned but some days I just can't get to do things I am meant to do..Lovely straight from the heart post.

    So very glad to have found you at the hop. Your newest follower and a regular visitor now.
    cheers
    Kajal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, this came at a time where I have about 30 pages of school work to do and I have "hidden" my book so I can enjoy spring break. Probably wont be feeling this decision next week but to hell with it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails