What's Been Happening Around Here

Tuesday, April 30, 2013
It's been a week of quietly significant happenings around here. Nothing to write home about, perhaps, but interesting enough to highlight in a boring blog post.

Andy and I spent a bit of time this past weekend watching old Julia Child videos (as opposed to new Julia Child videos?!?) via my Julia Child iPad app and went on a little French cooking kick. Cheese souffle on Saturday, followed by poached eggs for lunch on Sunday. While all turned out beautifully, suffice to say, I do not need to see another egg for a few days. I can't believe I don't actually own Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Madness, I tell you.



I know I told our beautiful weather yesterday, but what I didn't tell you is that it's been so nice out that we haven't had to have a fire at night. That's right. No fire in more than 48 hours! Mind blown.

Speaking of nice weather, we now have enough open water by the shore that I was able to fill up my watering can from the lake this afternoon when I went to water the arugula (that's roquette/rocket to you European out there) in the cold frame.

I put away my winter boots today and am trading them in for my Wellies to get me through mud and puddle season.  Every time I put on the rubber boots I feel like I should be heading out back to slop out the pig sty or feed the chickens, or something . . . .

Remember I was all like "look at my snazzy cleaning calendar" last week? Well, wonders of all wonders, I've actually stuck with said cleaning calendar so far and the result is a much snazzier cabin: less clutter, dirt, dust, and stress! I even washed the windows on Friday. Granted, I'm the self-proclaimed worst window washer in the world (they always smudge!) so the windows only really look good in certain lights when viewed at certain angles, but hey, at least the outside panes of glass are now free of squirrel snot.

For whatever reason, I've had "The Life I Lead" song from Mary Poppins stuck in my head lately. You know, this one: "Consistent is the life I lead." 


I have no idea why.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that there is now a cleaning calendar on the fridge, an intro to running calendar on my printer and a meal plan on my desk. I return to full-time work in less than two weeks (oh dear!) and I've been spending a bit of time trying to figure out how exactly I can incorporate my current exercise, freelancing, and housekeeping schedule into a 40 hour work week. So far as I can tell, as long as I get up at 5 a.m. each morning and never once deviate from a strict regiment of tasks, I should be just fine. ;P
 

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Spring! We got snow here yesterday... but it's melted for the most part. I can't wait for rain instead of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very nice week to me, especially the part where you and Andy watched the old Julia shows and cooked up some of her lovely recipes! Your poached egg looks perfect!

    I hadn't thought about that Mary Poppins song in years. I love that movie, and that song is certainly apropos when life takes on a very regular cadence.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails